Coconut drink blamed for child’s death

Importer Fabby Foods from Coburg has pleaded guilty in September in the Supreme Court after failing to mention all the ingredients included in their products, causing a young boy from Melbourne to die.

7-Eleven sold a Five Palms Natural Coconut drink in Olinda, the Dandenong Ranges which has caused controversy across the country. A ten year old boy experienced an allergic reaction from an ingredient in the milk which was not mentioned on the canned product.

“No parents should have to live through this heartbreak. It’s awful.” said With Allergies Australia director Sarah Patterson. “I see a lot of ¬†imported products on supermarket shelves and wonder what is really inside them. You really don’t know…Lives are in danger.”

Victorian Food Importers Federation CEO Sam Mendes said that members need to look carefully at labelling, and they need to check that with their suppliers overseas.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s